. . The Churchyard & Grounds
.

Notice the Anglo-Saxon carving set into the west wall of the porch. This is the only tangible relic above ground of the Norman church which stood on this site.

The Saxon Stone
The Saxon Stone

To the right of the south porch is the fine
War Memorial in the form of a crucifix.
The memorial was unveiled by Princess Beatrice in 1919, when she was Governor
of the Isle of Wight.

The Battenberg Grave
The Battenberg Grave
Two notable graves are to be found in the churchyard.

Outside the northwest end of the church is an iron cross, marking the grave of Prince Louis of Battenberg, 1st Marquis of Milford Haven, and his wife, Princess Victoria of Hesse, granddaughter of Queen Victoria. They were the parents of Earl Mountbatten of Burma and grandparents of HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

Near the north wall of the churchyard is the grave of Uffa Fox, the famous yachtsman and designer.
Uffa Fox - headstone
The Grave of Uffa Fox

Beyond the car & coach park is our
Orchard and Picnic Area.
There are mature trees, colourful flower borders and ample seating for you to enjoy a rest or picnic.

Outside the car park, the building which once sheltered Queen Victoria's horses, is now a small Refectory Shop, selling souvenirs, ices & teas.
The Orchard and Picnic Area
The Orchard and Picnic Area